Wednesday 14 December 2016

2016 in Review

2016's almost over already? Yikes. I blinked. But what a year. Ignoring the apocalyptic politics, it was a good one, too. On a personal level, I traveled my heart out, made a bunch of new friends, started teaching, and...studied. Really, really studied

On a kdrama level, there was a very definite return to some classic tropes, like the reverse harem, amnesia, and the never-very-far-away classic, the chaebol. But there were some astonishingly new things too--stories about extramarital affairs, divorces, and life afterwards. I know, I was shocked too.

Without further ado, the dramas I watched this year:





Signal (tvN, Jan 22-Mar 12)

This was hands-down, far and away, the best drama of the year. Go figure it would also be the first, so that the rest of the year would feel just a little bit like it always trying to live up to it. Trust tvN to come up with something so out of the box and creative. The twisty mysteries, the clever time-jumping narratives, the aching story about brothers found and lost, it was all just so good. I dragged watching it out as a long as I could, savoring the gritty flavor and goosebumps. To sum up-- I loved it, and twelve months later I still get a little thrill of adrenaline just thinking about it.

Ooh, does that mean it's time for a rewatch?

Fave Song: The Road



Five Children (KBS2, Feb 20-Aug 21)

My only family drama this year! I picked it up on a whim, and stuck with it because, well, it was cute, in a fluffy, Brady Bunch kind of way. And sometimes, that's something you need to see in the world--a story where love and family triumph over all the day-to-day difficulties of being an adult in the modern day world. It helps Lee Tae Min swiftly became my pattern card for what all kdrama leads should be--respectful, thoughtful, kind, and gentle. Were there problematic gender roles about what's expected from single mothers versus single fathers? Sure. But while I acknowledge the issues, it wasn't enough to destroy the sunny little message about the surprising way families can form.

Fave Song: Happy


Descended from the Sun (KBS2, Feb 24-Apr 14)

This was the first big (perhaps the biggest?) blockbuster of the year. And maybe not undeservedly so. In some ways (ok, most ways) it wasn't much more than stunningly lovely, easy to watch fluff. But that implies there's anything wrong with it being that way, and that's just not true. It filled it's own little niche, with impossibly heroic adventures, swoony one-liners, and jawdropping sunsets. Plus, it marked a big departure for this particular writer in my opinion, who managed to avoid making her hero a complete ass for once. Or was that just Song Joong Ki delivering a saving, cheeky, adoring charm? Either way, I remember being pleasantly surprised and satisfied, like having cotton candy is satisfying--you don't want it all the time, but nothing else gives quite that kind of sugar high.

Fave song: Talk Love

Bonus: Best Kiss (for pure cinematic glory, this kiss is unbeatable. Come on, the gorgeous countryside, a setting sun, a truck bed, two beautiful people? Phew)


Marriage Contract (MBC, Mar 5-Apr 24)

I think this was the first sign of the troubling ahjusshi romance trend that partially took over this year, and which I tried to avoid when I realized it was going to be a thing--I'm not a fan of the weird male fantasy about youthful women. However, I hadn't picked up on that being a trend yet when I started this one, and I can't say it really affected my overall enjoyment in the end. I'm not usually a melo person, and this one was old-school melo, complete with Terminal Illness(es), Disapproving Father, Icy Chaebol, and Love Triangle. So for me, it's story-telling strength was in the parts about patchwork families and loyal friends and living in and loving the moment. Bittersweet and sensitive, it didn't reinvent the wheel, but it helped fill up a weak drama cycle. 

Fave song: To You Again

Bonus: Best Kiss (the kiss that made me sit up and take notice of this OTP, when I was mostly uninterested. So much surprising passion)


Memory (tvN, Mar 18-May 7)

Lee Sang Min does the  worn down every man so well, and he brought his A-game to this one. For a story about Alzheimer's, the death of a child in a hit-and-run, and a corrupt law-firm, it was so full of hope and rediscovery! I'm a sucker for a good redemption arc, and this delivered, complete with a sweet little office romance, a few murder mysteries, and a discussion about the real meaning of memory. I remember it as being very much an adult's drama, without much flash, and all the power being in the little things. The kind of show that provides solid food for thought, and makes sure you eat your spinach before dessert. 

Fave song: More Than a Memory


Page Turner (KBS2, Mar 26-Apr 9)

Oh gosh, I love this writer (most of the time--I have my quibbles with her tendency to do only one thing with all her stories. But at least she does that one thing really well?), and this snappy little short, with Ji Soo and Kim So Hyun in the main roles felt like it was made to order for me. It was cute and funny and clever and heart-warming all at once. It told the story all school dramas try to--the one about being young and facing the future and finding your dream, but it succeeded where others have failed with much more time and space. The soundtrack was lovely, and Ji Soo's purple hair remains a landmark memory for me out of dramaland this year.  More, please?

Fave Song: Beethoven's 9th

Oh Hae Young Again (tvN, May 2-Jun 28)

This was the sleeper hit of the late spring/early summer, a surprisingly fresh rom-com just when you thought every rom-com ever was fated to be nothing but a tired repeat of all the others...ahem. Where was I? Right. It was fun, and life-affirming, and cute, with a heroine who was shockingly relatable sometimes. The first half was so good though that the second half kind of let me down, though not in a really awful way. It just didn't manage to sustain that wildly original pace was all, and failed to fulfill the promise of the heroine's arc that would have landed so close to home for so many. But it succeeded in telling a story about love and letting go of insecurities, which is always welcome for those of us forced to live in the real world, where handsome sound directors don't live next door.

Fave Song: Dispersed

Bonus: Best Kiss (Seo Hyun Jin set the gold standard with this furious wildcat of a kiss that nearly set my screen on fire)

Dear My Friends (tvN, May 13-Jul 2)

Holy shit, this drama. This was so real, it was raw. It hurt. So many stories about groups of friends focus on youth, the age of promise, but this was about the other end of the story of life. What does that look like? What does friendship, and family, and romance, and the future, look like with gray hair and incontinence and dementia? It looks beautiful and sad and meaningless and meaningful, that's what. Because people's exteriors change, but their inner worlds are still as rich and their stories are still as intense as any set of flowery nineteen year olds. 

And Jo In Sung's cameo was to die for.

Fave Song: Want To Be Free

Bonus: Best Kiss (this wasn't a kiss heavy show, but this was such an important, emotional moment it wins a spot on the list)


Beautiful Mind (KBS2, Jun 20-Aug 2)

Nngh. Another of the ahjusshi romances I watched. But I really like Park So Dam and Jang Hyuk! A decision had to be made, and I made it. If it's any consolation, the romance really didn't sell me. I stuck around for the compellingly troubled father/son relationship and Jang Hyuk's stellar delivery of such a complex character, though neither of these managed to make me feel better about the way the heroine got so badly sidelined by the end of the story. I still can't decide if the hospital mystery was brilliant or boring. All I know, it didn't engage me. Although considering how few medical shows get me to sit through the whole thing period, this one scored a significant victory.

Fave Song: Dirt


Gogh's Starry Night (Sohu TV, Jul 2-Jul 31)

I was stunned by my love for this uncomplicated little web series. It should have been silly, and it was, but it was also charming, and had a solidly wonderful otp, with plenty of adorable hijinks and laughs...and a tinge of heartbreak too. I think it reminded me of the classic drama era, with the reverse-harem trope, all the flower boys, and the plucky heroine. With slightly better fashion and a lot more PPL. And sometimes, you just need to return to the roots to be reminded why you love something in the first place.

Fave Song: Dreamer

The Good Wife (tvN, Jul 8-Aug 27)

Phew, this was a dip into the sophisticated side of dramaland, delving into law, crime and adultery. And hot damn was it full of crackling chemistry and female empowerment. I think we were all wary (and excited. But wary) of an American remake--they don't always translate into such a different format well. But this one worked, giving us landmark scenes involving pink stilettos and elevators (you know what I'm talking about), great characters, and some smoking hot burns in the courtroom.

Fave Song: This Moment (not technically part of the OST, but it was such a Moment, guys)

Bonus: Best Kiss (holy shit this kiss. Dark and dangerous and so, so sexy)


W-Two Worlds (MBC, Jul 20-Sep 14)

I loved it, and I didn't. It had so much potential, and delivered on so much, I hate to quibble with it. And I love this writer, and I love Lee Jong Suk...and yet, I can't quite forgive it for writing itself into a corner, and then dropping a few balls from an otherwise glittering juggling performance. It's hard to resign yourself to being grateful for what is, when it could have been so much more. Still, I don't regret the pulse-pounding moments I spent dancing between the world of W and the real world, and all the strokes of fangirl humor were pure brilliance. 

Just...be a little more careful with your deus ex machinas next time, k?

Fave Song: Where Are U 

Bonus: Best Kiss (when she puts her handcuffed wrists around his neck and pulls him back down? Nothing sexier than a kiss that has the full-on engagement of both parties!)


Age of Youth (jTBC, Jul 22-Aug 27)


Oh my God, soooo gooooodddd. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the intense focus dramas have on romance can be a drawback, because then stories like this don't get told--stories about girls and their friendships and their lives, where romance is important, yes, but not the end all be all. And this drama has shown exactly how sad that is, because it's full of a rich depth, poignancy, laughter and mystery just by telling the story of five college roommates. They're all wonderfully human, full of flaws and strengths, and they all grow in amazing ways throughout the story. It's slice-of-life storytelling at some of its finest.

Fave Song: Offbeat

Bonus: Best Kiss (in terms of encapsulating all the sweetness and nerves of a first kiss, this one can't be beat...complete with cheering roommates)


Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (KBS2, Aug 22-Oct 18)

Sageuks--can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. I was enthralled by this one for about the first five episodes, and then I started losing interest. I can't even put my finger on why--Park Bo Gum delivered an amazing performance as the prince. The show was incredibly pretty. The romance was just the right dash of swoony. The politics were threatening without taking over the story. It just...it was a fairy tale, and it lacked immediacy somehow. And the heroine kind of disappeared towards the end so the prince could focus more on his political power plays. I hate that. I watch dramas for the female-centered storytelling! I don't care how pretty the prince is! I'm here for her story! And what was with that ending??

Fave Song: Melting

Bonus: Best Kiss (for me, the moment was sold by heart-melting smile the hero gives when the heroine closes her eyes, ready to be kissed. Oof, my heart)


Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (SBS, Aug 29-Nov 1)

Another one that makes me go nnnnghh. It was powerful enough I wound up scarily invested, even with my consistent attending desire to shriek at the insanity of the characters. Somehow with all its flaws (and their number is infinity), it was still one of the most engaging shows I watched this year. Was it Lee Jun Ki's powerhouse acting? Was it the gorgeous setting? Was it Nam Joo Hyuk stealing my heart? I don't know. I loved it. I hated it. I'm still bitter about the ending and the buckets of tears I shed. It's a part of me now. Damn it.

Fave Song: For You

Bonus: Best Kiss (the first kiss in the show with not just the heroine's initiation, but her consent, which it makes it twenty times sexier than anything previous)


Shopping King Louis (MBC, Sep 21-Nov 10)

I dare you to find a cuter drama this year. Comprised almost entirely of found family antics and lovable characters, this was a healing story. I left it feeling moved and warmed, like I'd been wrapped in a big fuzzy blanket and given a cup of hot chocolate. With marshmallows. It forwent most typical drama tricks, using business machinations in only very specific ways, redeeming almost (every?) character, and letting the chaebol hero be a genuinely lovely person from the start. I know. Freaked me out, too. Which meant it was very different from most things I've seen in dramaland, even while feeling oddly true to the reasons we watch dramas in the first place--because there, goodness always wins, love is always true, and heroes come in the most unlikely shapes.

Fave Song: Navigation

Bonus: Best Kiss (aagh, so cute! Two best friends, so happy to just be in the moment, surrounded by books...if I could redo my first kiss, this is what I'd want)


1% of Anything (DramaX, Oct 5-Nov 24)

As a remake of an early oughts kdrama, this one had a distinctly old-school flavor--Jerky Chaebol, Sassy Poor(-ish) Girl, Contract Dating, Evil Female Second Lead...and yet, it managed to make it all fresh by cutting out extraneous filler and focusing on the adorable main relationship instead, fairly crackling with chemistry. And omg those kisses. Anything but old-fashioned. Plus, it's a delight to see a modern heroine, with a spine and her boundaries firmly in place, change the type of romance I used to groan at into the kind I can cheer for. 

Fave Song: I Want You Bad

Bonues: Best Kiss (there were so many kisses in this series, but this one is the best for me because again, I return to issues of consent. I love that this is Dada's confessions that she likes him, that she likes kissing him, and that this is the first kiss she initiates willingly, even if it lacks the smolder of some of the others)

Currently Watching


Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim (SBS, Nov 7-)
Episodes Watched: 15


So far, it carries a hard-hitting message about ethics in medicine, finding a core principle in life and following it, and the dangers of taking the easy, morally compromising path when its offered. It's pretty great, with a complex, damaged crew of characters and a great setting in undersized, plucky Doldam Hospital, the one place in this world maybe where choices are made based on right, not might. Nicely paced for the most part, with plenty of dramatics and romance to keep me engaged when my brain gets tired of dealing with the moral conundrums it raises. I'm slightly worried now that we've hit the three-quarters mark that its going to refocus on hospital politics...but then, whenever I've worried that in the past, they've thrown in a fresh twist, so I really should have a little more faith. Plus, they've finally thrown us some romantic development, for which I'm all heart-eyes. More kisses! More faux-bickering! More staff taking bets on their relationship status! 

Fave Song: Clockwatching (again, not technically part of the OST, but it really struck me when it was played as so suitable for our main pairing)

Bonus: Best Kiss (right, having said all that about consent...damn it, these two are just so dysfunctional and addicting, and Seo Hyun Jin is so good at these!)



The Sound of Your Heart (Naver TV Cast, Nov 9-)
Episodes Watched: 18

What a zany, fresh little story. In a year of webtoons adapted into dramas (and dramas about webtoons), this adaptation of a cartoon chronicling a webtoon artist's family's wacky antics stands apart.  The tongue-in-cheek meta (that Answer Me spoof!), breezy bite-sized episodes (well, it is a web drama after all), and hilarious cameos (Song Joong Ki!) elevate what could be an almost American style family sitcom into something a little bit more. I'm not in love with it--the humor is a little broad for me in most places--but I can admire the great acting (Lee Kwang Soo!) and cheeky storytelling. 




Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (MBC, Nov 16-)
Episodes Watched: 13

Oh man. This one wins the award for best story about young love, not only just for this year, but possibly the decade. The development and chemistry here are breathtaking as our college students struggle with all those facets of young adulthood that make it such a landmark part of our lives. Joon Hyeong and Bok Joo are a real treat, so snuggly and warm even in the depths of winter, that it reaches through my screen and into my heart. They're unorthodox and lovely, and everything you want first love to be--sweet and satisfying, built on a foundation of genuine friendship. I just want to hug them both, and maybe freeze time, so they never have to grow up. I'm not even worried about where the last three episodes will take us, because the story has never wasted a turn or filled gaps with unnecessary angst. It's just telling us a gentle little narrative with a self-assurance that fills me with confidence. And smiles. And rainbows. And puppies. 

Fave Song: From Now On



The Lonely Shining Goblin (tvN, Dec 2-)
Episodes Watched: 10

I'm of two minds about this one. At its best, it's either sweeping, epic and heartbreaking (usually centered around the Goryeo and reincarnation storylines) or hilarious, bromantic and heartwarming (roommate shenanigans between the moody goblin and naive grim reaper). And when it's in either of those places, I'm thoroughly absorbed and happy, and I love it. But at it's worst, it's bloated and angsty, with a mildly creepy loveline about a thousand year old superbeing and an underage high schooler. This writer can do really fabulous things and really terrible ones with her stories at the exact same time, so I can't say I'm surprised. I just wish I could let go of all my reservations and be allowed to wallow in what she does best, instead of sometimes feeling like I'm watching something that could be knocking it out of the park, if it just didn't keep falling prey to her characteristic missteps. So close. So far. 

***
Overall Feelings

This year started off with a bang with Signal, and kept on delivering with fresh romances and a to-die-for indie vibe with shows like Age of Youth, Dear My Friends, Oh Hae Young Again, and 1% of Anything. There were a couple of mega-blockbusters, but the best experiences for me were the under the radar shows like Shopping King Louis and Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, which sent the year off in style. Overall, I'm pleased to note a trend away from asshole heroes towards gentle, supportive partners and a developing interest in displaying female friendships. So basically? I'm satisfied. Here's hoping 2017 keeps it up.

Dramas Completed: 17
Dramas in Progress: 4

Favorite Drama: Signal
Favorite Action/Thriller Drama: Signal
Favorite Comedy: Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
Favorite Period Drama: Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Favorite Weekend/Family Drama: Five Kids
Favorite Melodrama: Dear My Friends
Favorite Lead Couple: Lee Jae In and Kim Da Hyeon, 1% of Anything
Favorite Alternate Couple: Kim Hye Kyung and Lee Tae Joon, The Good Wife
Favorite Secondary Couple: Kim Sang Min and Lee Yun Tae, Five Children
Favorite Character: Yoo Shi Jin, Descended from the Sun
Favorite Villain: No Face, W-Two Worlds
Favorite Bromance: Park Hae Young and Lee Jae Han, Signal
Favorite Girlfriends: Yoon Jin Myeong, Song Ji Won, Kang Yi Na, Jeong Je Eun and Yoo Eun Jae, Age of Youth
Best Kiss: The Good Wife
Most Dysfunctional Relationship: Jang Nan Hee and Park Wan, Dear My Friends
Breakout Performance: Lee Sung Kyung, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
Most Disappointing Drama: Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Biggest Waste of Talent: Lee Joon Gi, Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Most Underrated Drama: The Good Wife
Favorite Adaptation: 1% of Anything
Favorite Paranormal Drama: Signal
Most Noble Noble Idiot: Kang Chul, W-Two Worlds
Most Idiotic Noble Idiot: Kim Hye Kyung, The Good Wife
Best Memory Loss: Park Tae Suk, Memory
Candiest Candy: Kang Hye Soo, Marriage Contract
Least Tear-Inducing First World Problems: Kang Mo Yeon, Descended from the Sun

(categories borrowed from dramabeans)

No comments:

Post a Comment