Tuesday 17 June 2014

My Very Own Merry-Go-Around





I've noticed a trend with myself lately when it comes to kdrama watching, and it tends to be of the wild, pendulum swinging variety.

That's right, princess. I'm looking at you.

It all started with Goong--a show so sappy sweet I ended it feeling like I had a cavity. I'd enjoyed it while it lasted, but I needed some good ol' fashioned violence and melodrama to restore balance to my kdrama world. (though I still intend to do these recaps at some point! I'll have free time someday, I swear)

So I flipped on Gaksital.




That stare still gives me the chills

Which, as it turns out, is a physical-and-emotional-torture extravaganza where everybody dies. LITERALLY.

This, naturally, left me in a state of emotional trauma only to be equaled by the time I got my first essay back in grad school. 

What's a girl to do?

Find the fluffiest, simplest, most-undemanding offering of kdramaland, of course. That's right. I'm talking about--

Why did I do this to myself? I may never know.
Oh right. That smile.

Playful Kiss. Ack. For the first four episodes, it was spot-on, the perfect low-key healing experience.

And then it just got obnoxious.

Being stubborn, I watched it all the way through. But by the end, I was right back were Goong had left me, probing for cavities and desperate for some action/heroics/a female lead who could do more than whimper and ask the guy for help (IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR KDRAMA GODS REALLY?)

So I reached for the nearest thing in my Dramafever queue that looked slightly action-y. Which brings me to my current watching experience...
You do that smoulder-smirk so well

Vampire Prosecutor. I'm about halfway through the first season, and while its blood and guts cable television approach to the crime drama has satisfied my need for a more hardcore, risky storytelling, I can already see myself swinging into a post-Gaksital funk when I finish this. Rape and child molestation cases, brain goo, drugs, corrupt cops, more cleavage than I'm used to on Korean television, and an astonishing amount of guyliner are going to leave me jaded. Are these all real, important issues? Yes (except maybe the guyliner). Am I glad they get air time? Yup (except maybe the cleavage). Am I going to be emotionally drained and lost in an impotent wash of rage by the end of this? You betcha. This show is giving me very visceral reactions for some reason. 

Which leaves me with the burning question...what do I watch after this? Do I take refuge in the tempting Delightful Girl, Choon Hyang? Or should I try to find something balanced--neither totally rom-com or blood-and-guts action flick, and try to break the cycle?

OR AM I DOOMED TO RIDE THIS SEE SAW FOREVER? 

(screencaps courtesy of dramabeans)

No comments:

Post a Comment