Saturday 16 January 2016

Weekly Update: Oh My Ghostess, 12-15/Splish Splash Love 1-2

Better a little late than never, right? Right. So I was pretty busy this week traveling back the UK and picking the threads of school back up. Positive side: Jet lag meant plenty of sleepless nights to catch up on my habit.



SO. Quick rundown.

Oh My Ghostess was just fine. Why on earth they brought Sung Jae back I have no idea. Bad, bad writing. But whatever. And I really felt the show ended with Soon Ae's ascension to heaven, so the rest of 16 was all filler for me, and pretty nonessential. Also, weird tonal shift from quirky rom-com to murder thriller with the last quarter. That could have been managed better, I thought.

But I'm just cranky and hard to please sometimes. We've covered before why this drama wasn't my cup of tea, and yet it still made me fans of Park Bo Young and Kim Seul Gi. So it did something right.


And I really did  come 'round to the way he looks at her
Moving on to the show that really made my week,  Splish Splash Love. So cute! So inspiring! So bittersweet and happy-making!



At only 2 episodes, this drama never gets heavy or wrangled down by political scheming. Which oh my goodness, I didn't know dramas could avoid. In fact, the quick pace of this one gave me a little whiplash until I adjusted.

High school senior Jang Dan Bi is struggling with what she wants for her future as the big college test approaches. On the day of, she freaks out and runs away instead, into a puddle...and through time. Right into the court of a young King Sejong, who is similarly struggling with bringing about the future he wants, pushing a scientific agenda at a court that stubbornly clings to superstition. She wins safety by teaching him things she learned in school--math, science, anatomy (not like that! Or, not quite like that). But when the two start to fall in love, she has to make big choices, about running away and facing the future. It's cleverly written, with so much set up and so many threads aligned. So swoony too!

The ending left me smiling, with an upsurge of hope about growing pains I've been dealing with myself lately (trust me, dissertations don't write themselves, and it's terrifying).

Now. On to Liar Game!  Give me less cute, more brain-bending.

No comments:

Post a Comment